Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Free Crochet Pattern: Tarn Pop Tab Hot Pad - Part 1


I have created many designs with pop tabs and learn something each time.  If experience has taught me anything, taking time to remove the clip is well worth it.  It is time consuming.   I usually do this while watching tv.  Next thing you know, there's a pile sitting in front of me.

Here's why - First and foremost, it offers a much neater appearance.  And secondly - it reduces some weight from the finished item.


Here is a before and after picture.  And as you can see, once the clip is removed, it does look much nicer.  If you're still not convinced, here's a third reason - there's more room in the hole to crochet 2 single crochet stitches.


Removing the clip is quite easy.  Using a pair of needle nose pliers, with the back side facing you - start at the left corner-> then begin pulling the clip from the pop tab until you reach the opposite corner.  If it does not remove cleanly, just take a cheap nail file (not emery board) and smooth out the edges.  That takes care of it.




So how many pop tabs are needed to make this hot pad according to the lay out above - here is a breakdown:

Block 1 - 12 pop tabs
Block 2 - 15 pop tabs
Block 3 - 30 pop tabs
Block 4 - 33 pop tabs
Block 5 - 48 pop tabs
Block 6 - 48 pop tabs
For a total of 186 pop tabs 

As for the tarn (t-shirt) yarn needed, unless I'm making a bulky design, I always cut my tarn at 1/2" width.   

The awesome thing about this design I created, it's a great way to use up scrap yarn.  And, build each block to the size you need.  I needed a hot pad for a 9x13 pan.  Otherwise, I typically would stop at 5 blocks.

Please come back for Part 2 - The Hot Pad Pattern ....

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me at twooleydesigns@gmail.com or plastiquerecreations@yahoo.com.

It feels good to be back blogging and shairng free patterns again.  My life got - 'busy' there for a while where I unfortunately had to give up some of the pleasures I enjoy in life.  I continued to crochet, just wasn't able to blog about any new designs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment